Saturday, August 23, 2008

First Day in Spain (posted after the fact)

¡Ahora estoy en España! I just got to the hotel where I am staying with another girl from the study abroad. We have no way of contacting each other, so I am waiting in the lobby till the appointed meeting time. The trip was ok. There was the lack of sleep, the headache, and the stomach pain, but nothing that a little caffeine and advil couldn´t fix. Too bad I don´t really drink caffeine. Luckily advil by itself did the trick. Definitely beyond my comfort zone to exchange money at the airport (and only pay $4 for the convenience!), find the bus stop in the frankfurt international airport, transfer to Hahn Airport, wait for 5 hours, and then fly to Madrid. Actually, I think one of the hardest parts was figuring out the how to call the hotel for a shuttle and where I was supposed to be. This required me to actually speak Spanish. Anyway, my novel was way too short. I finished it hours before my Madrid flight. I guess it didn´t really matter though because by that point I couldn´t stay awake anyway unless I was moving. I think I was traveling for about 24 hours in all, but I don´t really have the time difference down yet. I could be way wrong. On a more positive note, I had a really great chocolate and hazelnut filled croissant in the Hahn Airport. I am going to try and stay awake till bed time tonight so I can sleep for a full night and get my sleep schedule adjusted to local time. That means I need to be moving. So I think I´m going to ask the other girl if she wants to go see some stuff in down town, or at least go get dinner. That should be fun. I´ll write more soon!

No comments: