Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Today went by pretty fast

Having work go by fast is always a good thing. I worked as fast as I could on the power point summarizing the benefits survey results. There were a couple spots I simply did not know what Nikki wanted, so I went in to discuss it with her. She was in a big rush because one of her interviewees arrived while she was trying to describe what she wanted. Because of this she was quite unclear. I don't know if the bewildered look on my face gave it away or she realized in on her own, but she said she knew she wasn't answering my questions. Unfortunately, that is all she had time to say before she had to start her interview. I went back to my desk with one hour till she needed a finished product and did my best to make something that wouldn't embarrass me. She told me after her presentation that it looked good and worked well. At that point I made the mistake of telling her it wasn't what I wanted. Then I described a Martin style presentation with very little text, mostly pictures and graphs with a hand out or executive summary with all the information that the speaker says. Which, Nikki thinks, would be just right for when she has justify her changes and cost increases to managament. Maybe I shouldn't point out where I could improve.
In truth, I liked doing the powerpoint and it would not make me sad to had a reason to put off referrence checks....
I think that noise I heard was you coming to pick me up. I guess i am done.

3 comments:

Martin Pulido said...

Wow, that's quite the story! I know how frustrating it can be when your boss and you are under the gun and they can't understand what you need to know. It's kind of like today where my boss is sick and I need to send out a Purchase order. I don't want to take the dude up because I already did it yesterday.

Thank you for calling it the Martin-style presentation. I feel so touched. One thing on the handouts though. Unless they tie in with the presentation (you ask people to refer to it during the presentation), I urge you to not to give the handout until the end of the presentation. Otherwise, their attention will slip away from you while they're rummaging through the pages. I'm glad you liked doing the PowerPoint. If you ever need help looking for some pictures, let me know. I can always devote some time. I seem to get random things done!

Sorry I wasn't the person on the phone. However, I do have your cell phone now! Love you.

Lindsay said...

If you read, the noise I heard isn't necessarily a phone ringing. It was you at the StrataCare door trying to get some one on the intercom. So it was you! Thanks for getting my phone. make sure you put it in your pocket so it makes it out to the car. Love you!

Martin Pulido said...

Good point about putting it in my pocket. And I don't know if the buzzer was me; you posted at 5:42 and I didn't go up until 6:15ish. Thanks though.